Who is Kevin Hart?
Kevin Hart is an American stand-up comedian, actor, internet personality and social media influencer. Kevin is most known for his hilarious stand-up comedy shows. He became famous after Judd Apatow cast him in one of his TV shows, which led to exposure and multiple movie roles.
He has single released multiple comedy albums, starred in blockbuster films and even released one of his comedy shows on Netflix.
Personal life of Kevin Hart
Kevin’s full name is Kevin Darnell Hart, and he was born on 6th July 1979 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was raised by a single mom named Nancy, who worked at the University of Pennsylvania. Kevin has one older sibling whose name is Robert.
Kevin didn’t grow up with his father because he was a cocaine addict. His father was in jail for Kevin’s whole childhood. Kevin used humour as a way to cope with his troubled family life. After Kevin’s dad Henry Robert Witherspoon recovered from drug addiction, they fixed their relationship. “My dad said I was supposed to be on drugs. I was like, ‘Dad, shut up, but then I thought about it, and it was stupid, but it made sense. He was saying that basically, he was my example to never go down that road.” Kevin also often portrays his mother as a loving yet intimidating woman. She died from cancer in 2007.
After graduating from George Washington High School, Kevin decided to attend the Community College of Philadelphia. He later dropped out and moved to New York City to chase his dreams. Kevin worked as a shoe salesman and pursued his dream of becoming a stand-up comedian.
Kevin Hart was married to Torrei Hart before they filed a divorce for irreconcilable differences in February 2010. Kevin requested joint custody of their two children, daughter Heaven Leigh, born on 22nd March 2005, and son Hendrix, born on 8th October 2007.
On 18th August 2014, Kevin proposed to Eniko Parrish, and they married on 13th August 2016 near Santa Barbara, California. On 21st November 2017, the two had their first child, son Kenzo Kash. On 15th December 2017, Kevin publicly admitted that he cheated on his wife when she was pregnant with their son. On 29th September 2020, Kevin and Eniko had their second child, daughter Kaori May.
The controversy of Kevin Hart
In 2018, Kevin Hart was supposed to host the 91st Academy Awards. After some homophobic Tweets from 2010 and 2011 resurfaced, Kevin needed to step down. Kevin claimed he was different back then, grew up as a person and apologized to the LGBTQ community.
Openly lesbian comedian Ellen DeGeneres expressed public support for him and asked the Academy Awards to reconsider Kevin’s decision to step down. However, after Kevin got additional backlash for an insincere apology, he announced he would not host the awards anymore. That year, the 91st Academy Awards had no host.
On 14th April 2013, Kevin Hart was in suspicion of drunk driving after his black Mercedes nearly collided with a tanker truck on a Southern California freeway. Kevin failed a field sobriety test and was booked for misdemeanour DUI. On 5th August 2013, Kevin Hart got sentenced to three years of probation after pleading no contest to one count of driving under the influence of alcohol.
On 1st September 2019, Kevin Hart was a passenger in a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda that went off Mulholland Highway and rolled down an embankment near Calabasas, California. Both Kevin and the driver suffered significant back injuries. Kevin was released from the hospital ten days later and continued recovery at a rehabilitation facility.
The career of Kevin Hart
Kevin’s first comedy gig was at The Laff House in Philadelphia under the name of Lil Kev the Bastard. It didn’t really go well. He got booed off the stage several times, and the audience threw a piece of chicken at him one time. Kevin continued to enter comedy competitions throughout Massachusetts, and audience receptions of his performances eventually improved.
In 2001, Kevin drew the attention of Judd Apatow that cast him in a recurring role in the TV series “Undeclared”. The show didn’t really catch up and only lasted one season. What is most important, it exposed Kevin and officially marked the start of his career.
Following his TV debut, Kevin landed roles in several movies, including “Paper Soldiers” in 2002, “Scary Movie 3” in 2003, “Soul Plane” in 2004, “In the Mix” in 2005 and “Little Fockers” in 2010.
In 2008 Kevin released his first stand-up album, “I’m a Grown Little Man.” He released his second comedy album, “Seriously Funny,” in 2010 and followed it up the following year with “Laugh at my Pain.” In 2013, he released “Let Me Explain”, and in 2016, he released “What Now?” He has embarked on several national tours, and one of his shows was recorded for a Netflix special.
Kevin Hart then continued to star in popular movies such as “Think Like a Man” in 2012, “Grudge Match” in 2013, “Ride Along” in 201). Its sequel “Ride Along 2” in 2016, “Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie” in 2017, “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” in 2017 and “Night School” in 2018.
In 2015, Time Magazine named Kevin as one of the 100 most influential people in the world on their annual Time 100 list.
He starred as himself in the lead role of “Real Husbands of Hollywood.”
In 2017, Kevin Hart and Tommy John appeared in an underwear commercial for Macy’s.
Social media of Kevin Hart
In March 2009, Kevin Hart joined Twitter. As of 2022, he accumulated over 37 million followers and more than 41,300 Tweets. Kevin is very active on Twitter, even multiple times per day. He advertises his latest products and shares his personal opinions.
Kevin Hart is highly popular on Instagram, where he has over 136 million followers. There is a large variety of content on Kevin’s Instagram posts. You can find anything from high-quality modelling pictures to photos from his everyday life and hilarious reels. Kevin gets anywhere between 200,000 and 1.5 million likes per post.
Kevin is also widely popular on Facebook with over 36 million followers. This platform primarily includes Instagram and TikTok re-posts.
On 9th December 2019, Kevin Hart created his TikTok account. As of 2022, Kevin gained over 27.5 million followers and more than 136 million likes. He is not your regular TikToker, and most of the time, he just makes fun of TikTok. Kevin seems inactive as he didn’t post anything for the past 2 months.
How much does Kevin Hart earn? Net worth!
As of 2022, Kevin Hart has an estimated net worth of roughly $200 million. Kevin is one of the highest-paid entertainers in the world.
Between August 2015 and August 2016, Kevin earned $90 million from touring, movies, merchandise, endorsements, and more. Between June 2017 and June 2018, Kevin made $60 million. He earned another $60 million between June 2018 and June 2019. In the following 12 month period, he earned $40 million.
Kevin Hart has been playing poker since 2010. He entered significant tournaments such as the WSOP, cashing in one event for $4,783 in 2014. He also plays cash games, like the ones organized by PokerStars, and actually became their Brand Ambassador in 2017. He was featured in PokerStars ad campaigns and promotional content alongside Usain Bolt.
As of September 2022, Kevin Hart has earned $77,828 in live tournament cash games.
Interesting facts about Kevin Hart
- Kevin’s zodiac sign is Cancer.
- His height is 163 centimetres or 5’4”.
- He weighs 64 kilograms or 140 lbs.
- Kevin is often joking about his height. He even released a phone game about it. “Little Jumpman” was described as a “vertically challenged game of skill that will make you laugh and cry with Kevin as he reaches for the sky.”
- Kevin Hart has cited Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, George Carlin, Jerry Seinfeld, Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor, Patrice O’Neal, and Keith Robinson as comedy inspirations.
- As of September 2022, Kevin Hart has earned $77,828 in live tournament cash games.
- Kevin is deathly afraid of insects—even harmless bugs like butterflies and grasshoppers are off-limits for the comedian—and filming Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle in Hawaii forced him to constantly face his fears as there were bugs everywhere.
- His co-star and friend Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson certainly didn’t help alleviate his anxiety, and one time, he even threw a fake poisonous spider at Kevin.
- When he began working the comedy circuit in Philadelphia, Kevin used to go by the stage name “Lil’ Kev the Bastard.”
- Despite his massive success in comedy, Kevin wasn’t always embraced with the warm welcome he is now when he takes the spotlight. During his early years as “Lil Kev” in Philadelphia, Kevin was often booed offstage.
- During one of his early performances, someone in the audience must have really disliked Kevin’s act. According to a Q&A with the New York Times, an Atlantic City man threw a buffalo chicken wing at the comedian to get him off the stage.
- Robinson also advised him to stop trying to imitate comedians like J. B. Smoove and Chris Tucker and instead just be himself.
- Kevin wanted to be an NBA player growing up, and while pursuing his dream, he wound up attending the same basketball camp as Kobe Bryant.
- Apparently, in need of cash for community college, a girl Kevin was dating suggested that he start dancing. However, the whole thing fell apart when Kevin’s brother caught him practising in his room, and he didn’t want to come up with an excuse to justify what he was doing.
- Growing up was difficult for Kevin, but he has always been grateful for all the hard work his mother put into raising both him and his brother.
- Kevin’s father was heavily addicted to cocaine and found himself in and out of prison. Kevin’s relationship with his father is rocky, to say the least, but he takes his dad’s mistakes as life lessons.
- Kevin was once told to quit comedy by the man that helped discover Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy and Jerry Seinfeld.
- On the Howard Stern Show, Kevin detailed his former job as a shoe salesman. Hart worked incredibly hard at his day job and was particularly good at it.
- Kevin reportedly shared that when he received his first six-figure paycheck from Hollywood, he spent the majority of it on a fancy watch.
- Kevin is a known fitness enthusiast. He has run plenty of marathons and is more than dedicated to maintaining his fit physique. In an effort to inspire healthier lifestyles, Kevin offered his friend Wayne Brown $25,000 to lose 40 pounds. Brown succeeded, even going so far as to surpass the minimum, losing nearly 50 pounds.
- During one of his stand-up segments, Kevin jokes that he only lasts 23 seconds during sex. Pressed during interviews, Kevin has asserted that the joke is true.
- In 2004, Hart made his primetime debut with The Big House. The sitcom, both written and starring Hart, only managed to run for a sad six episodes.
- On a publicity tour for their sequel Ride Along 2, Hart and co-star Ice Cube got to meet some very famous puppets at Sirius XM Radio Town Hall.
- His stand-up comedy tour Let Me Explain sold over 600,000 tickets, raking in nearly $35 million.
- Kevin has consistently joked about his hatred for all things dolphin. During a guest appearance on Conan, the comedian pulled up a picture of a dolphin kissing him with a terrified look on the comedian’s face. He proceeded to call dolphins “racist.”
- Kevin Hart married his second wife, Eniko Parrish, in August 2016 in a lavish wedding near Santa Barbara, California.
- Kevin and his first wife, Torrei, met while studying at a community college in Philadelphia. They later moved to Hollywood and got married in 2002, and they had two children, Heaven and Hendrix. The couple officially filed for divorce in 2010, citing irreconcilable differences.