Who is Nash Grier?
Hamilton Nash Grier was born on December 28th 1997. This 24-year-old young man is an American personality, comedian and social media personality. Nash is known for his comedy gags on now closed platform Vine. This platform was used to post 6 seconds long loop videos. In fact, Nash was the second most followed Vine creator with almost 13 million followers, 1 million above Lele Pons and 3.5 million behind KingBach.
With Vine closing out, Nash moved to other social media such as YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and TikTok. Nash Grier also dove into the TV shows world, created his own clothing brand, featured in a movie and most importantly, became the advertisement face of popular brands.
Personal life of Nash Grier
Hamilton Nash Grier was born and raised in North Carolina. Nash’s parents are Elizabeth Floyd and Chad Grier, who is also one of his managers. He is the middle child of the three Grier brothers.
The youngest one, Hayes Grier, is a fellow ex-Viner and YouTuber. In August 2021, Hayes was arrested for an assault and robbery with his friend Luke Foushee. This event happened only 2 days after a photoshoot with PETA. There wasn’t a closure on this case or any statement from Hayes so far.
The oldest brother, Will Grier, is a football quarterback drafted by Carolina Panthers in the 2019 NFL draft. Same as his father, Will is one of Nash’s managers.
After his mother divorced Nash’s father, she married John Floyd. Nash has one half-sister out of this marriage. Skylynn Floyd appeared in several videos and became a huge hit. By the time she was 5 years old, her Vine account had already 1 million followers.
Nash Grier started dating Taylor Giavasis in 2015. They announced the birth of their first child in September 2019. His son Malakai Grier is a star of his TikTok’s.
Nash Grier is majorly involved in various charity campaigns. For example, Nash participated in the Thirst Project, which helps to build wells in countries that don’t have access to clean and safe drinking water. Through his social media, Nash raised over $125,000 for this project.
The career of Nash Grier
Nash Grier was still attending Davidson Day School when the mobile app Vine rose to popularity in 2013. This 16-year-old young man started creating 6-second long entertainment videos for his friends. His audience quickly became wider, and this hobby turned into a passion. Nash became the second most successful Viner in only two years.
As his fame rose, Nash started collaborating with other Viners. Nash joined a newly formed group called Meet and Greet Convention, more known as Magcon. This group was created in October and became widely popular as “a boy-band phenomenon without the band.” Magcon held events where people could meet with Internet personalities and Vine stars such as Nash Grier, Hayes Grier, Matthew Espinosa, Jack and Jack, Cameron Dallas, Mahogany Lox, Carter Reynolds or Shawn Mendes. These shows are one of the reasons why their members got more popular and attracted more followers to their channels.
Their group broke up in April 2014 after multiple disagreements between their managers.
With Magcon disbanding, Nash and fellow ex-member of Magcon, Cameron Dallas, moved to Los Angeles to fully kick-start their careers. Nash collaborated on a social media tour Digifest, where social media personalities performed Q&A sessions, took pictures with fans or dance and comedy sets.
Nash got enough attention to expand his brand, such as social media apps and games Mobli, Cash Dash and Challenged. In collaboration with his brother Hayes and Cameron Dallas, Nash designed their own clothing line, “UnitedXXVI,” for Aéropostale. Fans of this brand didn’t like the collaboration due to Nash’s controversial past. Buzzfeed stated on this event, “The backlash highlights the challenges brands face in working with today’s new breed of celebrities in a supremely competitive landscape.”
Nash Grier learned how to edit his videos himself and even shared that his “apparent spontaneity” is actually shrewdly crafted and scripted, with clips refilmed many times and sometimes edited for hours.
Nash Grier started his acting career in 2015. His first job as an actor was in “Janoskains: Untold and Untrue.” A couple of months later, Nash earned himself a voice acting role in the movie “Air Bound.” He got his first lead acting role in the film “Outward”, collaborating with his friend and fellow internet sensation Cameron Dallas.
Nash got his first television series job in 2016. He performed as Ryder in a television show, “the Deleted.” In the same year, Nash starred as Tom in the show High School Cupid, a Cupid Inc.
The controversy of Nash Grier
With that much popularity, no one should be surprised Nash stepped on some toes and overstepped some blurry boundaries. Some of Nash’s Vines were labelled as sexist, racist or homophobic.
When Nash released his Vine “How Asians name their kids”, many people didn’t like it. Nash was forced to face massive backlash. Same thing when Nash released a video about tips for women on how to behave to attract men. This video was backlashed as well, and people called him sexist. Another time Nash released a video that offended the whole LGBT community. Nash responded to OraQuick at-home oral HIV that said, “Testing for HIV. It’s not a gay thing.” He posted his Vine in which he said, “Yes, it is! Fag!” Nash was smart enough to delete the Vine, but it resurfaced one year later, in July 2014. This time, Nash had more social media presence, and his audience was highly critical about this stunt. “I was young, ignorant, stupid and in a bad place. I’ve moved on and learned from my mistakes, and I am so truly sorry to anyone I have offended.” Nash Grier apologized for every one of those incidents on Twitter and even started using #Notracist to give people a better understanding of not taking these videos too seriously. It didn’t really work, and Nash lost a significant amount of fans. People started being worried that his career could end before it entirely took off, but that really wasn’t the case. Nash Grier is comfortably sitting on millions of fans that still get his jokes.
How much does Nash Grier earn? Net worth!
Nash Grier has an estimated net worth of $3 million. Back in the day when Vine was a thing, brands would pay anywhere from $25,000 to $100,000 to advertise their products on his channel. That is no surprise, considering Nash was second most followed on the platform with almost 13 million followers. He also owned a second Vine account, “Nash Grier 2,” where he shared less scripted Vines.
Nash Grier also owns a self-titled YouTube channel with more than 4.5 million subscribers. He joined YouTube in 2013 and started rapidly gaining followers, almost 100,000 per week. Most of his videos were comedy clips, video editing tutorials and tips for upcoming social media personalities. As of 2021, Nash mostly posts vlogs with his family or videos of his son.
Nash Grier is highly active all over social media. His Instagram has more than 11.5 million followers, and Nash often posts photos of his family. He has over 3 million followers on Facebook and more than 6 million followers on Twitter. Nash Grier joined Twitter on June 18th, 2011. His first tweet was, “I’ve decided to be an official tweeter….” Tiktok is Nash’s most active platform with 24 million followers, where he regularly posts TikTok’s of his son.
Interesting facts about Nash Grier
- Nash Grier was named One of the Most Influential People on the Internet by TIME magazine.
- Nash Grier was nominated for two awards at the 2015 Teen Choice Awards (Choice Web Star: Comedy and Favorite Social Media Star)
- Nash directed a music video for singer Bera called “I Look Good On You”, released on Grier’s YouTube Channel.
- His first lead acting role was in Fullscreen’s The Outfield. This movie premiered on November 10th, 2015, worldwide on the iTunes Store.
- The Outfield was Nash Grier’s first fundamental acting role where he played the character, Jack Sanders.
- In 2017, Grier appeared in You Get Me with co-star Bella Thorne.
- His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
- He is 6’0” or 183 centimetres tall.
- His weight is 154 lbs or 70 kilograms.
- Nash and his father run 26MGMT, a celebrity and talent management company.
- His sister Skylynn had over 1 million followers on Vine while being only 5 years old.
- Nash prefers dogs over cats.
- In November 2013, Nash gained over 100,000 followers every week since he joined YouTube.
- Nash moved to Los Angeles, California, with his friend Cameron Dallas and photographer Bryant Eslava in summer 2014. They got evicted 9 months after they moved in.
- Nash loves hip-hop and pop music.
- Nash does not like ketchup.
- Nash is using Google Adsense to monetize his YouTube videos.
- He was named one of Time’s top 25 most influential teens of 2014 in October 2014.
- In March 2015, Time also named Nash one of the top thirty most influential people on the internet.
- His celebrity crush is Jennifer Lawrence.
- Nash posted a Vine of his sister saying “America needs Jesus” in December 2013. This video got over 300,000 shares and was even shared by fellow Vine star Tiffiny Semashko.
- Nash Grier stated that it was never his intention to earn money from Vine.
- On September 16th, 2015, Nash Grier tweeted his Snapchat name, “lifeofnash” before this, he used the Snapchat name ‘nashgrier’.
- Nash’s first visited Europe on October 2nd, 2015; he went to Paris and invited his fans to join him!
- Nash shared that he sometimes spends hours or even days making the perfect video.
- On September 19th, 2015, Nash tried to get a trending topic on Twitter #iHeartNash – he said he would follow “a bunch” of his fans if it worked.
- #NashsNewVideo often trends on Twitter – mainly when he uploads a new video.
- Nash Grier is a very competitive person.
- He is a Christian and uses the Bible app on his iPhone.
- Nash Grier had stated several times that he is against gay rights and gay marriage. Many of his fans disagreed with him. He backed off on his opinion and even apologized.
- He shared watching Toy Story 3 made him tear up.
- M&M’s challenged Nash Grier to give away 1 million tastes of their Crispy M&M’s to his fans. He used the hashtag #NashHasCrispy to help spread the word.
- In July 2015, Nash Grier visited Hawaii for the first time.
- Nash is very interested in travelling the world. He finds other cultures exciting and wants to meet his fans worldwide.
- He has starred in Good Morning America several times.
- He directed a music video for Bera called ‘I Look Good On You ‘.
- Shortly after Grier’s rise to internet fame, he joined the group Magcon. At this convention, fans could meet with famous Internet Personalities. Cameron Dallas and Shawn Mendes were also some of the Magcon boys. He quit the group in early 2014. Nash stated he felt like its’s limiting his future career.
- Nash Grier shared his mother used to film his Vines sometimes.
- Nash Grier stated his role model is Leonardo DiCaprio. If he could choose an actor for a movie collaboration, it would be him.
- Nash said the best thing about meeting a fan in person is that he can actually put a face to an account.