Who is Selena Gomez
Selena Marie Gomez is an American songwriter, actress, singer and producer. In her teenage years, Selena gained recognition after her lead role as Alex Russo in the Disney Channel television series Wizards of Waverly Place. As a producer, Selena produced the Netflix television series 13 Reasons Why between the years 2017 and 2020. With her former band Selena Gomez & the Scene, Selena released three albums. All of them reached the top ten of the US Billboard 200.
Personal life of Selena Gomez
Selena Marie Gomez was born on 22nd July 1992 in Grand Prairie, Texas. Selena’s mom Mandy Teefey was a former stage actress. Her father is Ricardo Joel Gomez. Selena got her name after singer Selena Quintanilla, who died in 1995.
Selena’s parents divorced when she was only five years old, and she remained with her mother. She has a younger stepbrother and two younger half-sisters. Gracie Elliot Teefey, through her mother and her second husband, Brian Teefey. Victoria “Tori” and Marcus Gomez, through her father and his second wife, Sara.
Selena Gomez is third-generation American-Mexican and even shared personal info about her family life. “My family does have quinceañeras, and we go to the communion church. We do everything that’s Catholic, but we don’t really have anything traditional except go to the park and have barbecues on Sundays after church.”
Some might think Selena Gomez comes from a wealthy family. It’s actually quite the opposite. Selena was born when her mother was 16 years old. They went through a lot of financial struggle, and Selena even shared that they had to search for quarters just to get gas for their car at one point.
Her mother shared a story where she and Selena frequently walk to their local dollar store to buy spaghetti for dinner. Selena shared how she was frustrated that her parents separated and didn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. “I’m terrified of what I would have become if I’d stayed in Texas.”
Selena Gomez was diagnosed with lupus sometime between 2012 and early 2014.
In September 2017, Selena Gomez revealed she had a kidney transplant from actress and friend Francia Raisa. Selena Gomez stated she was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. In her early twenties, Selena started attending therapies.
In April 2020, Selena Gomez revealed that she was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in an Instagram live with singer Miley Cyrus.
In 2008, Selena briefly dated Nick Jonas. In December 2010, Selena Gomez began dating Canadian singer Justin Bieber. The pair dated off and on for many years and officially broke up in March 2018. In January 2017, Selena started dating Canadian singer The Weeknd, and they separated in October that year.
The career of Selena Gomez
Selena Gomez started her acting career on the children’s television series Barney & Friends between 2002 and 2004. She didn’t gain too much recognition and rose to prominence only after her lead role as Alex Russo in the Disney Channel television series Wizards of Waverly Place.
After her leading role, Selena’s career kept rolling. She starred in many films such as Another Cinderella Story (2008), Princess Protection Program (2009), Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie (2009), Ramona and Beezus (2010), Monte Carlo (2011), Spring Breakers (2012), Getaway (2013), The Fundamentals of Caring (2016), The Dead Don’t Die (2019), and A Rainy Day in New York (2019). She even voiced Mavis’s character in the Hotel Transylvania film franchise (2012–2022).
In 2017, Selena appeared as an executive producer for the Netflix television series 13 Reasons Why. In 2019, Living Undocumented through her production company, July Moonhead Productions.
Hulu mystery-comedy series Only Murders in the Building earned Selena Gomez critical praise and a nomination for Best Actress in a Comedy Series at the Critics’ Choice Television Awards.
In 2009, Selena released her first album, Kiss & Tell, with her former band Selena Gomez & the Scene. In 2010 and 2011, Selena released another two albums, A Year Without Rain and When the Sun Goes Down. They all reached the top ten of the US Billboard 200. They were certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America.
Between 2013 and 2020, Selena Gomez decided to embark on a solo career. She released another three albums, Stars Dance, Revival, and Rare. Each debuted atop the Billboard 200.
In 2021, Selena received a nomination for the Grammy Award for Best Latin Pop Album, thanks to her EP Revelación.
Several Selena Gomez’s songs have charted inside the top ten of the US Billboard Hot 100, including “Come & Get It”, “The Heart Wants What It Wants”, “Good for You”, “Same Old Love”, “Hands to Myself”, “We Don’t Talk Anymore”, “It Ain’t Me”, and her first number-one song “Lose You to Love Me”.
Social media of Selena Gomez
Selena Gomez was named one of the top social media influencers by data company D’Marie Analytics, E! Online reports. D’Marie Analytics named Gomez No. 1 on their list of influential media moguls. The power list includes Kendall and Kylie Jenner, Rihanna, Beyonce and Taylor Swift.
At some point, Selena Gomez was even the no.1 most followed person on Instagram. She stated she used to have a “really dangerous” relationship with social media before taking her break and giving her passwords over to her team. Social media had a really negative influence on Selena. She stated that her mental health has improved since she quit.
In March 2009, Selena started her Twitter account. As of 2022, Selena has over 65.5 million followers and more than 5,400 Tweets. She posts multiple times per day and is very active. Selena announces her latest movies and merchandise.
Selena Gomez has nearly 90 million followers on Facebook and more than 60 million likes. This platform serves pretty much the same purpose as Twitter.
On 8th February 2008, Selena started her YouTube account. As of 2022, Selena has over 30 million subscribers and over 11 billion views. 4. 4. 2008 On 4th April 2008, Selena posted a video “me and Kevin!” where she and her friend Kevin lip sync to a movie scene and goof around. This video gained over 1.8 million views and more than 15,000 likes. On 6th November 2014, Selena posted her most famous single on YouTube “Selena Gomez - The Heart Wants What It Wants (Official Video)”. This video gained over 760 million views and more than 5.2 million likes.
Selena is highly popular on Instagram. At some point, she was even the most followed person on Instagram. As of 2022, she has over 290 million followers. You can find a lot of variety on her Instagram. High-quality modelling photos, pictures with her dog or photos from her everyday life.
On 24th May 2016, Selena created her TikTok account. She earned over 37.6 million followers and over 230 million likes. Selena posts about 3 TikToks per month, sometimes even less. Selena Gomez is not really your regular dancing and lip-syncing TikToker. She currently sits at the 21st spot, only 300,000 behind Rodrigo Contreras.
Most of Selena’s songs are on Spotify. She currently has over 35 million monthly listeners.
How much does Selena Gomez earn? Net worth!
Selena Gomez’s estimated net worth is roughly $75 Million. She has a lot of income sources, such as ad revenue, sponsorships. Most importantly, Selena earns most of her income through acting and singing.
In 2017, Selena sold over 7 million albums and 22 million singles worldwide, according to Billboard. She has received various accolades and was named Billboard’s Woman of the Year in 2017.
She has a large following on social media and was at one point the most followed individual on Instagram. Gomez’s other ventures include a makeup line, a clothing line, a handbag line, and a fragrance line.
She has worked with many charitable organizations and served as a UNICEF ambassador since age 17
D’Marie has also estimated that Selena Gomez’s social media posts are worth $550,000 when they appear across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Interesting facts about Selena Gomez
- Selena’s zodiac sign is Cancer.
- Her height is 5’4” or 165 centimetres.
- She weighs 50 kilograms or 110 lbs.
- Selena’s parents divorced when she was only five years old, and she remained with her mother.
- Selena got her name after singer Selena Quintanilla, who died in 1995.
- Selena Gomez is a third-generation American-Mexican.
- Selena was born when her mother was 16 years old. They went through a lot of financial struggle, and Selena even shared that they had to search for quarters just to get gas for their car at one point.
- Her mother shared a story where she and Selena frequently walk to their local dollar store to buy spaghetti for dinner.
- In her early twenties, Selena started attending therapies.
- Selena Gomez was diagnosed with lupus sometime between 2012 and early 2014.
- In April 2020, Selena Gomez revealed that she was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in an Instagram live with singer Miley Cyrus.
- In 2008, Selena briefly dated Nick Jonas.
- In December 2010, Selena Gomez began dating Canadian singer Justin Bieber. The pair dated off and on for many years and officially broke up in March 2018.
- In January 2017, Selena started dating Canadian singer The Weeknd, and they separated in October that year.
- Selena Gomez started her acting career on the children’s television series Barney & Friends between 2002 and 2004.
- Selena rose to prominence only after her lead role as Alex Russo in the Disney Channel television series Wizards of Waverly Place.
- In 2017, Selena appeared as an executive producer for the Netflix television series 13 Reasons Why.
- Hulu mystery-comedy series Only Murders in the Building earned Selena Gomez critical praise and a nomination for Best Actress in a Comedy Series at the Critics’ Choice Television Awards.
- In 2009, Gomez joined the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) when she was just 17. For her first mission, she travelled to the African nation of Ghana.
- Her Instagram account became the first to hit the 100-million follower mark in 2016.
- In 2012, Selena Gomez launched her first fragrance called “Selena”. She describes it like yummy, romantic, and not overbearing.
- Although she was offered a role in High School Musical 3, she turned it down because she wanted to pursue more serious roles.
- Interestingly enough, Selena Gomez is not a fan of Harry Potter or even magic in general. Even so, she landed the main character in Wizards of Waverly Place in 2007.
- Selena Gomez’s friend, Francia Raisa, donated a kidney to Selena in September 2017 to help her lupus recovery.
- As health aware as she is, Selena Gomez loves burgers and indulged in a McDonald’s meal before her 2015 Victoria’s Secret fashion show.
- Selena Gomez is close friends with Julia Michaels. She is featured in Julia’s song. After performing it live for the first time together in November 2019, the duo got matching tattoos.
- To prepare for her role in the 2011 film Monte Carlo, Selena learned how to play polo and took two weeks of training to learn two different British accents.
- Selena Gomez had a cameo in the Jonas Brothers music video for Burnin’ Up, playing Nick’s love interest.
- When Selena moved to Los Angeles with her mom, she grew up in a dangerous neighbourhood. She said that sometimes she couldn’t even leave her house.
- When Selena met Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf for the first time, she fangirled hard. There’s even a video of her freaking out meeting Shia LaBeouf.
- At least four of Justin Bieber’s songs are about Selena. Mark My Words, Bad Day, Nothing Like Us, and Where Are U Now.
- From 2013 to 2015, Selena was a spokesperson and partner for Neo by Adidas.
- At just 16 years old, Selena signed a recording contract with Hollywood Records. The same label also signed Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato.
- Selena Gomez holds seven Guinness World Records, including: “Most likes for an actor on Facebook”.
- Selena actually had a recurring role on the Disney series Hannah Montana. She joined Miley Cyrus and played the role of Hannah’s music rival, Mikayla.
- She Loves Skateboarding and Surfboarding
- Breaking up with Justin Bieber hasn’t been an easy ride for Selena. In her music video for The Heart Wants What It Wants, Selena was filmed breaking down. She also cried over the difficult break-up whilst performing the same song at the 2014 AMAs.
- The star had to deal with several body shamers online when they’d noticed she put on weight. In an interview with vodcast Giving Back Generation, Sel revealed that her medication for lupus was actually affecting her weight.
- Selena’s favourite colour is green.
- Her name “Selena” means Moon in Greek.
- Selena Gomez is the mother of six rescue dogs. Her collection includes Willie, Wallace, Fina, Chip, Chazz, and Baylor.
- She loves pickles.
- She loves eating pizza crust – it’s her favourite part of the pizza.
- She earned a high school diploma through homeschooling in May 2010.
- Her favourite actress is Rachel McAdams.
- Selena’s favourite movie genre is horror.
- Selena received a Mickey Mouse charm necklace as a gift from Disney Channel.
- Selena’s favourite fruit is mango.